Are you single this year on Valentine’s Day? Here’s my personal guide on how to deal…..
All the single ladies…all the single ladies, put your hands up, put your hands up….(ah hem) It’s the beginning of February, and we all know what that means. The ever dreaded Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and if you’re single, like me then it can be a real downer. Some single women get really depressed, cry in their wine, mope around and throw themselves little pity parties and wonder if they will ever have a romance filled V-day if their own. Others are not that bothered by the holiday and just brush it off as another day of the year and try not to get too upset over being single on this particular love fest of a day. Some women don’t even care at all. I usually fall somewhere in the middle of all that, and this year I am determined to not wallow, to not cry, not to think about Valentines past…but just simply have a nice day. How you ask? I’m about to show you! So whether you’re miss tears-a-lot, or miss I don’t give a….on Valentine’s day, I’m going to show you my best tips on how to deal and not feel like shiz (yes I used the word shiz. #dontjudgeme) while being alone on the romance driven day.
1. Watch an anti-romance or relationship gone wrong film. One of the best things to do to not allow yourself to fall into a funk is to remember/realize the reasons why it’s not such a bad thing to be single. Sure, having a boo can be nice, but we are women after all and can tackle this big wide world on our own. It’s good to remember that not all relationships are butterflies, mushy kisses, cuddles and happily ever afters. The reality check is that a lot of relationships are hard, full of heartbreak, broken promises, hurt and are not always pretty. So if you want to feel relieved and glad that you are single, then girl for heart shaped chocolates sake, do not watch The Notebook! Don’t find yourself crying in your gallon tub of ice cream crying out “Why can’t I have that! Where’s my Noah!” Instead, spend your night watching a movie that shows the complicated reality of love and relationships, something like Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, or if you really want to see a bad outcome, then heck Sid And Nancy? Make sure it’s a film that shows the progress of complicated love, the realities of heartbreak and the downward spiral of two people who were better off alone. In order to make yourself appreciate being single and reminding yourself that hey, single life isn’s so bad, it’s good to take a look at how things aren’t always romantic and wonderful when you’re in love. Sometimes you find yourself like Kate Winslet’s character in Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, going to extremes to erase a person from your mind. Let’s be real, it’s not always fun. So I advise watching a good film that shows just that. Trust me, you’ll be very happy you are single afterward. 😉
2. Got any single girlfriends? Then get together with them! It’s unlikely that they will have plans so make a night of it! It’s always fun to get together with friends and have a night out on the town, especially when you’re single and so are they. So grab your single GF’s and spend the night being flirty, fabulous and enjoying the single life! Invite them over, go out to a movie (non-romance of course) have a bite to eat, go dancing, whatever! Just enjoy time with your fellow single ladies and not be alone. You never know what the night could bring, it could be the best Valentine’s Day ever. Have fun!
3. Bake something for yourself! One of the aspects of Valentine’s Day is that is comes with lots of chocolates., cupcakes, candies of all sorts and when you’re lacking that special someone to buy them for you, it’s a good opportunity to be productive, practice your baking skills and make your own delicious, ooey gooey dessert for one. I found some ideas that might help, grab over 91 single serve dessert recipes here: http://pin.it/_xyp570
4. Pamper yourself. Do something to make yourself feel fresh & pretty. No need to go to a salon or spa, just something you can do right from home, maybe while watching your bad romance movie? Give yourself a mani, color your hair, or lay in a warm bubbly bath with the newest bath bomb from Lush. Whatever you do, enjoy it, make it fun and give yourself a boost of confidence. Don’t forget, you are sexy, radiant and unique. Now go paint your nails a bloody red!
5. Avoid the V-Day doomsday explosion at all costs. If you must go in the stores during the month of February, which of course you do….do your best to look past all the displays of boxed chocolates, long-stemmed roses galore and pink and red heart shaped everything down an unsuspecting aisle. Also force yourself to go elsewhere in your mind when those happy couple Valentine’s Day commercials appear while watching your fav show. It’s hard I know, it’s everywhere! The lovey-dovey cards, the candies, sensual products and so on. The reason you want to avoid it all is sometimes, even when in the best of moods or carelessness the bitterness can seep in. That little part of you that feels jealous of all the happy couples and women receiving such gifts, the anger of being alone, and not having your own hunk to buy things for or go out to dinner with. Even if you think you’re a brick wall, trust me, you’re not. You will notice these things and feel the bitter lonely emotions creep on you. So it’s best to just ignore it all as best you can. It’s pretty simple generic advice but if you put enough effort into it, it can be done and if it helps then great! I know I look right past it all without a thought and it keeps me in a decent mood while grocery shopping. Give it a try and be happy flying solo!
So, in closing…you can make Valentine’s Day a lot less of a bi*otch, just stick to my simple advice and keep your sanity as the day approaches. Remember, you are strong, you got this and you are never alone. I will be fighting the good fight right along with you. I will leave you with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJfFZqTlWrQ
Have a fabulous Valentine’s Day you rock star you!
Much love, Jess.
Peace Out! XO
Follow me on social media!